Saturday, October 21, 2006

"A Dog's Tale" by Mark Twain

"This last week a fright has been stealing upon me. I think there is something terrible about this. I do not know what it is, but the fear makes me sick, and I cannot eat, though the servants bring me the best of food; and they pet me so, and even come in the night, and cry, and say, "Poor doggie—do give it up and come home; don't break our hearts!" and all this terrifies me the more, and makes me sure something has happened."---from "A Dog's Tale" by Mark Twain

Here is a very sad short story by Mark Twain posted on The Project Gutenberg site. The story is about the betrayal of a totally innocent and trusting creature. It is called "A Dog's Tale."

The site includes pictures from the original story.

Chapter I

My father was a St. Bernard, my mother was a collie, but I am a Presbyterian. This is what my mother told me, I do not know these nice distinctions myself. To me they are only fine large words meaning nothing. [Full text]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home